Sunday, August 10, 2014

Free tomato day at work

I harvested all the near ripe tomatoes yesterday, and spread them out on the sideboard in the dining room. They are, going clockwise from the top of the picture:
 Burpees Early Pick (medium sized), Rutgers (large with green shoulders and nice round shape), Patio Princess (perfect little globes about 2-3 inches across),
 Mortgage Lifter (big, funny looking, pink with green edges), two kinds of plums, and Sugar Lump cherry tomatoes:


I am picking all of the tomatoes in the beds next to the fence when just starting to color and ripening them on the sideboard because the woodchucks have already shown an inclination to nip through the fence at ripe fruit-- and only ripe fruit. 

Besides the sideboard tomatoes, I started today with another 30 tomatoes  ripening on a plastic bin lid in the garage. I bagged a dozen of these up and took them to work and gave them away to customers and co-workers.  
I really enjoyed the conversations that went along with sharing my tomatoes. I learned a lot as I handed out the fruits- about the gardens the recipients are currently cultivating,  about family gardens from childhood, and even favorite recipes.  My love of grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches is more common than I dreamed!

No comments:

Post a Comment